Throughout our history, we have learned that acting responsibly toward our stakeholders is fundamental to operating a productive, profitable business. It is for this reason that we embed environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles across our operations and pursue philanthropic initiatives that strengthen our foundations in the communities in which we do business. These efforts help us ensure that our business model is sustainable well into the future.
The following principles and associated practices ensure that we manage our investments with integrity, balancing economic goals with good corporate citizenship.
- Environmental Stewardship: Identify ways to minimize the environmental impact of our operations, utilizing in-house experts and specialist consultants as necessary.
- Employee Well-Being: Meet or exceed all applicable labor laws and standards in jurisdictions in which we operate, which includes respecting human rights, offering competitive wages, providing safe work environments, and implementing non-discriminatory hiring practices that are fully inclusive. We also aim to have zero serious safety incidents within all portfolio companies and assets by following a robust set of health and safety practices across the global private equity platform.
- Community Engagement: Engage with community groups that may be affected by our actions to ensure that their interests are appropriately integrated into our decisions.
- Governance, Ethics & Fairness: Operate with high ethical standards by conducting business activities in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements and our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics
- Corporate Citizenship: Empower our employees to participate in, and use our resources to, give back to the communities in which we operate.
- Transparency: Be accessible to our investors, responsive to requests for information and timely in our communications.
With more than a century of experience as a business operator, we have developed expertise in areas such as energy and water conservation, reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, recycling and wildlife preservation. Across all of our operations, we pursue innovative programs and systems that foster environmental responsibility.
Because our employees are integral to our success, our management teams maintain high standards with respect to employee welfare. Safety training and protocols are constantly refined, and health and safety incident metrics are reviewed monthly. Our goal is to have zero serious safety incidents within all portfolio companies by following a robust set of health and safety principles that are applied across the global private equity platform.
We believe that building strong partnerships with local and national stakeholders is good business. To ensure our interests are aligned, we continually look to involve our local communities and other stakeholders in both our existing businesses and our new investments.
Governance and Ethics
Contributing to fair and effective business practices is a cornerstone of being a responsible global citizen. Across Brookfield, we have adopted strong governance practices to ensure our conduct is equitable and ethical. We believe this is critical to maintaining the confidence of our customers, investors and investees.