Location: New York
Brookfield Asset Management Inc. is a leading global alternative asset manager focused on property, renewable energy, infrastructure and private equity, with over $250 billion of assets under management.
Based in Toronto and New York, we have over a 100 year history as an owner and operator of real assets, offering a range of public and private investment products and services which leverage our expertise and experience. We have more than 700 investment professionals and 55,000 operating employees working in 30 countries around the world. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext Amsterdam.
Brookfield conducts its private equity operations through Brookfield Capital Partners (“BCP”). BCP’s investment experience spans numerous decades and business cycles. BCP has 50+ investment professionals worldwide and manages approximately $20 billion. BCP typically pursues control transactions both in deep value / distressed and in stable, high quality investment opportunities. In all cases, BCP seeks investments where Brookfield’s competitive advantages – including its reputation, platform, scale, access to capital and global reach – can be bought to bear.
BCP’s mandate is highly flexible, with its investments spanning opportunistic buyouts, privatizations, corporate carve outs and recapitalizations / restructurings / distressed investments. Core industries include the broadly defined industrials, business services and energy sectors. BCP employs a contrarian approach that emphasizes downside protection and operational improvements to generate high-quality investments irrespective of the economic cycle. Investment size begins with the middle market with an eye towards larger cap opportunities; typical investments will be $200 million+.
Specific responsibilities include performing complex financial analysis and valuations, conducting market research, assisting with due diligence, writing investment committee memorandum and presenting investment recommendations. Over time, the role may include working directly with current or future BCP portfolio companies. The analyst will work closely with junior and senior team members, senior management, Brookfield affiliates (investment professionals from other business areas within BCP’s platform) and investors. The Analyst will gain exposure to other investment strategies through other Brookfield sponsored investment platforms.
- Conducts research to support the development of investment strategies and to identify transaction opportunities.
- Executes due diligence tasks in evaluating new and existing investment opportunities.
- Performs extensive independent work in the development of financial models including valuation, M&A and credit modeling.
- Assists with the preparation of presentations, memos, and other analyses to support new and existing investments; and participates in the ongoing management and monitoring of both the financial and operational aspects of portfolio investments, including assisting management teams with various corporate development initiatives and managing and coordinating internal financial reporting needs for portfolio investments.
- Professional with a positive attitude and capable of contributing to a dynamic and team-oriented culture.
- Self-motivated with a proven ability to perform in a fast paced environment, cope with changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (oral and written), and able to interact across all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Strong understanding of applied investment and valuation analysis; and advanced knowledge of MS Office products (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- University degree in finance or business.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience, preferably in an investment banking, private equity, corporate development and/or professional accounting role, specializing in corporate/business finance and valuation.
- Experienced in conducting research and due diligence, evaluating transaction opportunities, performing financial and valuation analysis, and producing “client ready” investment materials.
This position would be suitable for those candidates who meet the role qualifications and who thrive in a performance-driven environment that emphasizes employee leadership and accountability for delivering results.