Associate, Private Equity
Location: New York
Brookfield Asset Management Inc. is a leading global alternative asset manager focused on property, renewable energy, infrastructure and private equity, with over $250 billion of assets under management.
Based in Toronto and New York, we have over a 100 year history as an owner and operator of real assets, offering a range of public and private investment products and services which leverage our expertise and experience. We have more than 700 investment professionals and 55,000 operating employees working in 30 countries around the world. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext Amsterdam.
Brookfield conducts its private equity operations through Brookfield Capital Partners (“BCP”). BCP’s investment experience spans numerous decades and business cycles. BCP has 50+ investment professionals worldwide and manages approximately $20 billion. BCP typically pursues control transactions both in deep value / distressed and in stable, high quality investment opportunities. In all cases, BCP seeks investments where Brookfield’s competitive advantages – including its reputation, platform, scale, access to capital and global reach – can be bought to bear.BCP’s mandate is highly flexible, with its investments spanning opportunistic buyouts, privatizations, corporate carve outs and recapitalizations / restructurings / distressed investments. Core industries include the broadly defined industrials, business services and energy sectors. BCP employs a contrarian approach that emphasizes downside protection and operational improvements to generate high-quality investments irrespective of the economic cycle. Investment size begins with the middle market with an eye towards larger cap opportunities; typical investments will be $200 million+.
This position is an opportunity for the candidate to join a company focused on growth and building long-term value for our investors. This role is ideally suited for a motivated individual seeking a dynamic work environment as a member of Brookfield’s Private Equity & Finance teams. Responsibilities include the identification, screening and recommendation of potential investment opportunities. Brookfield’s Private Equity & Finance groups focused on
- Conduct research to support the development of investment strategies and to identify transaction opportunities.
- Help establish the investment thesis and identification of value creation strategies and assist in developing ideas for transaction structure.
- Develop the financial model and valuation for an opportunity including analyzing the capital structures and potential stakeholder recoveries.
- Prepare investment committee presentation material and other transaction documents.
- Assist in organization and co-ordination of large working groups to complete the execution of a transaction.
- Working with operational teams, be an integral contributor in the due diligence process that supports the validation of the business case supporting an acquisition and identify key transaction issues.
- Research industry drivers and opportunities, and identify and assess impact of key value drivers on a transaction and business assumptions.
- Work in a flexible, dynamic, and team-oriented environment that fosters collaboration and personal development.
- Conduct special projects, as required.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of relevant experience, preferably two years in investment banking, accounting or consulting, and will be required to have at least two years in private equity.
- Additional qualifications are an asset, including CPA, CA, and/or CFA.
- Experience in distressed situations and deep understanding of capital structure are an asset.
- High level of proficiency in Excel and strong financial modeling skills.
- Strong analytical skills and creative problem-solving ability.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a very fast-paced environment with firm deadlines.
- Strong and confident communication skills; and meticulous attention to detail is essential.
This position would be suitable for those candidates who meet the role qualifications and who thrive in a performance-driven environment that emphasizes employee leadership and accountability for delivering results.