Brookfield at a Glance
We are a premier global alternative asset manager with approximately $690 billion of assets under management. With a 100+ year heritage as an owner and operator, we focus on investing in assets and businesses that help form the backbone of the global economy. Throughout our operations in more than 30 countries on five continents, we are committed to supporting and enhancing the communities in which we operate.
Our goal is to deliver strong long-term returns and provide downside protection for our investors—including pension plans, endowments, foundations, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, insurance companies and individual investors. We invest our own capital alongside our investors in virtually every transaction, aligning interests and leveraging our deep operational expertise, global reach and access to large-scale capital.
Our approach is focused on investing on a value basis. We recognize that generating attractive returns often requires seeking out assets, businesses, markets and sectors that are out of favor or experiencing periods of distress. We are disciplined in acquiring high-quality assets and businesses that we believe can deliver strong performance across market cycles. And we take a long-term view in deploying capital—but are ready to act decisively when the right opportunities emerge.
We believe that sound environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices are integral to building resilient businesses and creating long-term value for our investors and other stakeholders. As a result, we embed these principles into all our activities—including our investment process—and conduct our business in a sustainable and ethical manner. An emphasis on diversity and inclusion reinforces our culture of collaboration. It strengthens our ability to develop our people and maintain an engaged workforce focused on serving as a trusted partner and first-choice provider of investment solutions.
With a 100+ year heritage as an owner and operator, we focus on investing in assets and businesses that help form the backbone of the global economy.
How we Invest
The Brookfield Advantage
We invest where we can bring our competitive advantages to bear, leveraging our deep operational expertise, global reach and access to large-scale, flexible capital.
Long-Life, High-Quality Assets
Leveraging our operating experience, we invest in key sectors across renewable power & transition, infrastructure, private equity, real estate, and credit & insurance.
Diverse Product Offering
We offer core, core-plus, value-add, opportunistic/growth equity and credit strategies through closed-end and perpetual vehicles in both the public and private markets.
Disciplined Financing Approach
We take a conservative approach to the use of leverage, ensuring that we can preserve capital across all business cycles.
We are committed to ensuring that the assets and businesses we invest in are set up for long-term success, and we seek to have a positive impact on the environment and the communities in which we operate.
Our disciplined, well-established approach to investing reflects our over 100-year history as an owner and operator. We focus on value creation and capital preservation, investing in high-quality assets and businesses within our areas of expertise. We then manage these assets and businesses proactively and finance them conservatively—with the goal of generating stable, predictable and growing cash flows for our investors.
Brookfield’s investment activities are anchored by a set of core tenets that guide our decision-making and determine how we measure success:
Our Business Principles
- Operate our business and conduct our relationships with integrity
- Attract and retain high-caliber individuals who will grow with us over the long term
- Ensure that our people think and act like owners in all their decisions
- Treat our investor and shareholder capital like it’s our own
- Embed strong ESG practices throughout our operations to help ensure that our business model is sustainable
Our Investment Approach
- Acquire high-quality assets and businesses
- Invest on a value basis, with the goal of maximizing return on capital
- Enhance the value of investments through our operating expertise
- Build sustainable cash flows to provide certainty, reduce risk and lower our cost of capital
Our Paths to Success
- Evaluate total return on capital over the long term
- Encourage calculated risks, measuring them against potential returns
- Sacrifice short-term profit, if necessary, to achieve long-term capital appreciation
- Seek profitability rather than growth—size does not necessarily add value